Like you, I had a great holiday break with my family and friends, and spent some of the downtime thinking about 2016... and what is the essence of what we're doing at Datawa.re.
Throughout 2016, we have received tons of feedback on the product... some good, some bad. We've worked to add to the good, and fix (or nix) the bad. When you're in the daily grind, it's difficult to fully grasp the all of the implications in a sprint to meet deadline, deliverable, and development expectations. And, that's why the holiday break serves is a nice way to provide some distance and clarity, and to take personal and professional inventory.
Here then, based on feedback from 2016, is what I've concluded what we do, in no particular order. I'll be interested in your comments and thoughts...
Here are the top 5 ways Datawa.re sells "Time" and "Certainty" back to each and every one of our clients.
- Faster, More Effective Prototyping - Getting started in the right direction is sometimes the most time consuming part, especially on initiatives that have an impossibly short timeline. Further, slapping something together for a proof-of-concept that just has to be re-built once it's "accepted" adds to the drama. Datawa.re provides the guardrails and infrastructure to assure that forays into a new idea doesn't get tripped-up on the starting blocks. This is a huge time savings for large-organization IT teams.
- Client-focused Deliverables - Shifting the emphasis of deliverables from required/standard infrastructure (i.e. Audit logging, Differentials, Key Management, etc.) has enabled clients and consulting partners to focus exclusively on business outcomes... delivering more results throughout the course of a project... and reducing the risk of project time/cost overruns. For small and medium businesses, this is a key.
- Efficient Day-to-Day Support - Data warehouse support teams using Datawa.re are more responsive to changing business needs. Managing data sources, business logic/rules/exceptions and the data model in a single, meta-data repository, rather than hundreds of SSIS packages, significantly increases the speed that changes (large and small) can be made, and reduces the risk dramatically. Response-time is the number one driver for business teams looking beyond internal IT organizations for solutions.
- Mid-level Developer Certainty - Development teams with young, enthusiastic developers are leveraging Datawa.re's built-in guardrails that provide three areas of focus (sourcing data, creating rules, building a data model), consistency of a native-SQL Server environment, and the assurance that the final deliverable is supportable, extensible and scalable.
- High-level Architect Productivity - Development teams with senior, experienced developers and architects are relying on Datawa.re's built-in infrastructure to enable teams to comfortably focus on difficult-to-solve data and business logic issues, rather than investing the time in (re)building capabilities that experienced developers and architects have come to expect.
And, I'll add one more that is more anecdotal...
- Build or Buy Decision Making Efficiency - The "cloud" version of Datawa.re is almost free to try... when considering a "build or buy" decision. Here’s why: We have alot of prospective clients that are testing the waters, and want to see what the possibilities are initially, and then over a 3- or 6-month period. Our team will gladly assemble a prototype that the prospective client can take and run with it. The possibility of being able to have a working data warehouse up-and-running in a couple of weeks, and then “trying” (read: using) the actual solution over a 3-6 month period for only a few thousand dollars is unheard of. Starting from scratch on the same project would required 10X+ investment.
I hope you continue to find success as we start 2017, and look forward to hearing about your wins and opportunities to improve.